Sunday, January 07, 2007

Reflections: weekly devotionals and prayers

I started writing my so called Boosters in October 2005 (in Dutch: Oppeppers). These short devotional prayers were initially mailed out to some family members and close friends, but now the list has grown to 100+ people - many of whom I don't know personally! Let me explain how it all started...

During a Willow Creek meeting I had said my shortest prayer ever. It was quite short and simple, but I meant every word of it. I said to God, 'Use me'. Well, I've asked for it - so I can assure you that many things have happened in my life after I said that little prayer!

Why do I write weekly devotional prayers? Because it helps me to stay close to Jesus and to become more disciplined in my own prayer life. It also gives me a great opportunity to encourage other believers every Monday morning! Many of us go to church on Sundays, but on Monday morning the daily routine begins and it seems like we are entering a different world. That is exactly why I sent out my devotional texts at the beginning of the working week - just to encourage people and to help myself and them to stay focused on God.

This year I've made a fresh start with my devotional writings. I am intending to go through the Gospel of John, all the way reflecting on the theme 'light & darkness'. My mailing list is only for Dutch-speaking readers, but I can add you - if you want me to - to this list so that you have a reminder each week to visit my brand new Reflections weblog. Just drop me a line to let me know you are interested in this little service. May God bless you!

5 comments:

Carolanne said...

I like your website and notice you don't have any Aussies in your links.
That's a good idea to write weekly devotional prayers. It is so important to be disciplined in our prayer life and to encourage other Christians.

Vicki said...

Paul, thank you so much for your nice comments and for visiting my blog. I really do love your photography. Your "Reflections" blog looks good, too. I like what you're doing. I'll need to spend a little more time there.

I, too, really like the CD "My Utmost for His Highest" - I play that pretty often!

Art said...

Hey Paul, watch out for those two!

Paul said...

Ha, ha - thanks for the warning!

JoshLab said...

Hei Paul, Happy New Year from Singapore! It's great to know that you've started your very own devotionals. Continue to shine for the Lord whereever you go! ^^

Josh.