Monday, September 11, 2006

The war within

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing... Romans 7:18-25

Today, September 11, I think about all the evil that takes place in this world. Our planet is full of violence, war and terror and all of this just makes me sick. And - to be completely honest - when I think about the war of sin that so often is raging within my own mind and body, I don’t feel much better!
I am thankful for the honesty of Paul, the man who wrote frankly about the war that was going on in his own life. He didn’t try to cover it up, but was very open about the fact that he was completely lost without God's grace.
Jesus lived in this same wicked world. He was crucified by sinful people like me who just didn’t know what they were doing. And... He forgave them! Whenever I feel bad about this world and about myself, I turn to Jesus, just like Paul did. His victory over evil is sure and his righteousness endures forever.

0 comments: