Saturday, June 30, 2007

Still going strong: Peter Gabriel


Last night I went to a Peter Gabriel gig in Amsterdam, together with my brother & friend Rob. Under the darkening Ruysdael sky, we enjoyed some great music. The sun was low to the horizon and competing for our attention with the light show on stage. As late as 21:30pm God's powerful beamer projected a beautiful rainbow on the dark skies above Amsterdam. What a great sight and what a nice addition to an open air concert! This really was a night to remember.

Solsbury Hill is my favourite Peter Gabriel song. I don't claim to understand Gabriel's lyrics, but I think he is a great musician and a poetic songwriter. I like the fact that his lyrics are so fascinating and multi-interpretable. If I hear Solsbury Hill, I have to think about Jesus. And I'm not the only one - as you can see here. But I also like In Your Eyes - such a beautiful love song! (Original video for the song In Your Eyes from Peter Gabriel's SO album). Please let me know which PG songs - if any - you like best - and why.

Review in Oor - sorry, only in Dutch...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great night! I love attending outdoor concerts. Whether the music is something I really enjoy or not, I can sure get mellow sitting out under the stars (or sun!) just listening.

I enjoy Peter Gabriel's music, too... thanks for the youtube links!

Anonymous said...

Whoa...I'm impressed that he can ride a bike AND sing at the same time (in the Solsbury Hill video)!!

Art said...

Awesome Paul. Glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good night out.

Anonymous said...

I too went to that show in Amsterdam. It was the first time I saw him in concert. I had waited forever, and it was worth it. The whole experience was fantastic.

Daniel Mumby said...

Thanks for your comment on my review of Us.

'Solsbury Hill' is a great song, though I think that 'Down The Dolce Vita' is the best track of PG1. As to the lyrics, the most obvious and well-known interpretations is about his relationship with Genesis, but there are clear Biblical overtones in there ("my friends would think I was a nut/ Turning water into wine").

Can't wait 'til Big Blue Ball comes out on May 13th :)