Thursday, May 17, 2007

Art and the Bible


Defenitely a site to add to your bookmarks: Art and the Bible (Carol brought this to my attention). This site is a great source if you want to know more about biblical themes in art. Being a Dutchman, I had to select a piece of art from our famous master painter Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn, of course. This is an etching depicting The Good Samaritan at the Inn. By the way, I have no idea what the doggie is doing there...

  • etching, 1633
  • Rijksprentenkabinet, Amsterdam
  • scripture link: Luke 10:33

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great link, Paul...my thanks to Carol. (The dog has my curiosity up, too!)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about the dog as well. Looks a little uncomfortable for sure.

Paul said...

Somebody wrote that the dog is there to show Rembrandt's opinion about the (lack of) hospitality of the inn keeper who wanted money...